Kelly A. Fitzpatrick believes there is no greater honor than to be an advocate for citizens whose rights have been compromised by corporations that routinely put profits ahead of consumer welfare and safety.
Vindicating the rights of consumers and medical patients is doubly rewarding because, in addition to obtaining financial compensation for her clients, Fitzpatrick’s advocacy benefits everyone by encouraging and enforcing social responsibility.
Fitzpatrick’s practice focuses on product liability litigation, specifically in protecting the rights of users harmed by pharmaceutical products and medical devices.
Fitzpatrick believes that the best way to handle her cases is to work cooperatively with the client. Her success strategy is to listen carefully to the client, to identify the personal challenges and legal issues involved, and to work together with the client to arrive at a solution to the client’s problem.
Recently, Fitzpatrick was appointed to the Plaintiff’s Steering Committee in the Viagra (Sildenafil Citrate) Products Liability Litigation (MDL 2691).
Fitzpatrick was recognized in "Rising Stars 2016" by Super Lawyers.
Fitzpatrick has been extensively involved in several federal and state court consolidated mass tort litigations, including:
- In re Yasmin and YAZ (Drospirenone) Marketing, Sales Practices and Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2100;
- In re Actos (Pioglitazone) Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2299;
- In re Zoloft (Sertraline Hydrochloride) Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2342;
- In re Fresenius Granuflo/Naturalyte Dialysate Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2428;
- In re Mirena IUD Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2434;
- In re C. R. Bard, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2187;
- In re Boston Scientific Corp. Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2326;
- In re American Medical Systems, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2325;
- In re Ethicon, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2327;
- In re Fosamax Products Liability Litigation, MDL 1789;
- In re Reglan Litigation; and Advanced Medical Optics Complete MoisturePlus Litigation;
- In re Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) Product Liability Litigation, MDL 2592;
- In re Zofran (Ondansetron) Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2657;
- In re Viagra (Sildenafil Citrate) Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2691
In addition to litigating cases involving products, Fitzpatrick has also handled several other catastrophic injury, medical malpractice and nursing home cases.
Work in the Community
Fitzpatrick participates in fundraising activities for the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. She recently ran the New York City Marathon with Team Boomer, part of the Boomer Esiason Foundation's effort to support cystic fibrosis research and improve the lives of individuals affected by the disease.
- J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law
- B.A., Fairfield University
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Women En Mass
- New York Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association
Publications and Presentations
- "How to Avoid Resorting to Your Bench: Choosing the Right Quarterback for Your Team in a Class Action," 2015, Class Action Litigation Newsletter
- "Despite Serious Concerns About Xarelto Safety, Sales Continue to Rise," 2015, The Legal Examiner
- "The Hague Convention: Navigating the Challenging Waters of Foreign Service," 2012, American Association of Justice Sidebar Magazine
Fitzpatrick has been invited to speak at national conferences concerning the regulatory history of medical devices; including the FDA's pre-market approval and 510(k) process.