When you fall on someone else’s property, your first emotions are likely pain and confusion. The pain of your injuries should drive you to get medical care, but what should you do after that?
After a slip and fall, many clients wonder:
- Was the accident my fault?
- Was the accident someone else’s fault?
- Who is going to pay for my medical bills?
- Is there other compensation I can recover?
- Do I need a lawyer?
The answer to the majority of these questions is: It depends. However, if you were injured in a fall on someone else’s property, at least seeking an initial legal consultation is always in your best interest.
The slip and fall lawyers at Ventura Law can hold the owner of a property accountable for negligence resulting in your injuries. Please call (203) 800-8000 today for a free consultation. Our lawyers serve clients throughout Connecticut from our offices in Danbury, Bridgeport, Hartford, and Norwalk, as well as clients in New York.
When Should I Hire a Slip and Fall Lawyer?
It is best to seek legal guidance as soon as possible after any accident or serious injury. After a slip and fall, the dangerous condition that caused your injury may be cleaned up or repaired in short order. This can make it more difficult to prove that the property owner’s negligence caused you to slip and fall.
When you contact a slip and fall lawyer about your case, his or her top priority will be to gather evidence about how the fall occurred, and what may have caused it. If you were able to take pictures or speak with witnesses after you fell, this would be excellent information to share with your lawyer at the initial consultation.
How Can a Slip and Fall Lawyer Help Me?
In addition to investigating the property, your lawyer can take further steps to build your claim and protect your rights. These steps include:
- Calculating damages in your case: You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. Your lawyer will review all of the costs you have incurred from your injuries as well as other impacts on your life to determine what amount is supported by the evidence.
- Determining liability: A slip and fall that happens on the walkway outside of somebody’s home is different from a claim arising from an apartment complex or a commercial property. Your lawyer will examine the facts of the case to identify who is responsible for the safety of the property, and thus whose negligence caused your injuries.
- Filing your claim on time: Each state has a statute of limitations on slip and fall accidents and other personal injury claims. You generally have 2 years to file a claim in Connecticut and 3 years to file in New York; but depending on where you fell, there may be much shorter time limits to act on your case! An experienced slip and fall lawyer will investigate and build your case in a timely fashion so you don’t miss the opportunity to pursue fair compensation.
Lawyers with offices in Connecticut and New York will also know how the local laws of both states may impact your claim.
Ex: Slip and Fall Claims Involving a Government or Municipal Property
In Connecticut, suing a government entity (broadly: “the state”) for negligence is different from a claim involving injuries that occur on private property. You only have one year to file a claim instead of two, and you are generally required to submit certain notices to the state as soon as possible.
In New York, you only have ninety days to make a claim for personal injury (including a slip and fall) against the state government. Claims against municipal governments are also governed by special rules that may limit liability.
Generally, someone who is injured in a slip and fall will not know the state and local laws that may apply to their claim. For lawyers, however, it is their job to know the law and what it means for clients.
Can a Slip and Fall Lawyer Help Me Recover Damages?
Every case is different, and a law firm’s prior results do not guarantee the same outcome in your case. However, when you are considering lawyers after being injured in a slip and fall, it is important to consider their prior experience and results.
Slip and fall accidents are a type of premises liability claim. The lawyer you choose should have experience negotiating with homeowners and rental insurance companies on behalf of clients.
One of the most common tactics in any dangerous property claim is for the insurance company to argue that you are to blame for your injuries. Adjusters, defense attorneys, and other agents for the company will try to argue that you slipped and fell due to your own carelessness, or that you are exaggerating your injuries.
A knowledgeable slip and fall lawyer will be prepared for these efforts to undercut your claim. Your lawyer will also handle negotiations with the insurance company on your behalf, which improves the likelihood of a favorable settlement.
Most slip and fall accident claims are resolved via out-of-court settlements. However, if the insurance company will not come to a fair agreement, your lawyer should be willing and prepared to take your case to trial.
Contact Our Slip and Fall Lawyers Today
As you can see, being injured in a slip and fall is nothing to take lightly. The evidence that can support your claim is very short-lived, and the property owner and insurance company will try to pay as little as possible in compensation – up to and including denial of your claim and pointing the finger at you.
When you hire our slip and fall lawyers, you can count on us to protect your rights and build a strong claim on your behalf. For more than 60 years, Ventura Law has been helping clients navigate the legal system to ensure they are fairly compensated for injuries caused by the negligence of others. We are your worry-free partners in settlement negotiations and in court.
Please call (203) 800-8000 today for a free consultation. Our slip and fall lawyers serve clients in Danbury, Bridgeport, Hartford, Norwalk, and all of Connecticut, as well as in New York.