Winter brings a significant amount of inclement weather to the Tri-State Area. People moving in and out of properties track in snow and slush, resulting in more wear and tear on flooring and carpets and a greater need for diligent maintenance.
These conditions create a “perfect storm” for more people to slip and fall. If you or a loved one was hurt in a slip and fall accident caused by the negligence of a property owner, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries.
Ventura Law handles slip and fall injury claims in Danbury, Bridgeport, Hartford, Norwalk, and all of Connecticut and New York. Please call (203) 800-8000 today for a free consultation. We are the law firm that has been helping people navigate their rights for over 60 years!
What to Do After a Slip and Fall Injury
Evidence is crucial for building a slip and fall claim. Some key information may be available at the scene when the accident occurs.
If you are not seriously injured (i.e., an ambulance does not need to be dispatched to the scene) and you can safely move about the property, there a few steps you can take after the slip and fall that can help with your case:
- Take pictures of the property: Photograph the unsafe condition that led to your fall (such as a slippery floor, an uneven tile, frayed or loose carpet, debris in the walkway, cracked or broken pavement, etc.) and the surrounding area to show the conditions on the premises when you fell.
- Speak to witnesses: If anybody saw you fall, ask for their name and contact information and get a description of what they saw.
- Report the accident: Tell the property owner, management company, or other party responsible for the premises about your slip and fall. You may be asked to fill out an accident report, which you should complete and return.
- Seek medical care: Go to the doctor or visit the emergency room as soon as possible after a slip and fall injury. Timely medical attention will enable you to start treatment and prevent your injuries from getting worse, and it will create a record of the injuries you sustained in the slip and fall.
- Contact a slip and fall lawyer: An experienced attorney can investigate your claim and help you pursue compensation for your injuries.
Your lawyer will use the information you have so far (photos from the scene, witness information, medical records, etc.) as a starting point for building your claim. It is in your best interest to seek legal counsel as soon as possible.
How a Lawyer Can Help with Your Slip and Fall Injury Claim
If you have been injured in a slip and fall, you may encounter several obstacles to recovering fair compensation. One of the biggest obstacles is the insurance company.
The insurance company may deny your claim. Or, you may receive a settlement offer, but the settlement does not adequately compensate you for the damages in your case.
Clients who hire an attorney to handle their slip and fall injury claim tend to recover more in compensation than those without legal representation. An experienced lawyer can help with multiple aspects of your case:
Investigating the Slip and Fall Accident
Although you may have been able to gather some initial evidence at the scene, experienced lawyers can collect additional information on your behalf. To recover compensation for a slip and fall injury, you must prove that the property owner or occupant was negligent, and that negligence created a dangerous condition that caused you harm.
Key evidence in a premises liability claim often consists of the following:
- Photographs of conditions on the property
- Video footage of the accident
- Witness statements
- The accident report filed with the property owner or manager
In addition to investigating the accident that caused your slip and fall injury, your lawyer can obtain documentation on previous accidents on the property. If the same hazard has injured one or more people, the party responsible for the premises should have known about the danger and taken steps to fix it. Failure to do so may represent negligence on the part of the owner or occupant.
Understanding Your Injuries
Slip and fall accidents can result in a wide range of injuries. Some of these injuries, such as soft tissue damage and broken bones, can have long-term effects on your health and mobility. Catastrophic injuries, such as traumatic brain injury or a spinal cord injury, can permanently alter your life.
A knowledgeable lawyer will work with your doctors and may hire medical and financial experts to determine the nature and extent of your injuries. Expert testimony is key for establishing the economic damages and non-economic damages to which you may be entitled.
Calculating Your Damages
After being injured in a slip and fall, your biggest concern is likely paying for medical expenses. If your injuries prevent you from working, the loss of income is another major source of worry.
Though these economic losses may be significant, they are not the only damages for which you may be able to recover compensation. Pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of support and companionship, and other non-economic damages may also be recoverable in your slip and fall injury claim.
The compensation you pursue in a slip and fall injury claim must be supported by the evidence. Your lawyer can calculate the value of your economic losses (present and future) as well as the losses you have suffered that don’t have a definite financial value.
Get Started on Your Slip and Fall Injury Claim
If you or a family member suffered an injury on a dangerous property, it is important to get knowledgeable assistance with your case as soon as possible. Your ability to recover fair compensation for your injuries is dependent on a timely investigation of the accident and comprehensive calculation of the damages in your claim.
Please call (203) 800-8000 today for a free review of your slip and fall injury claim. Ventura Law serves clients in Danbury, Bridgeport, Hartford, Norwalk, and all of Connecticut and New York.